Additional Skill Acquisition Programme is an initiative of the Government of Kerala to impart skill training to the Higher Secondary and Undergraduate students of the state. The major aim of the programme is to empower the young community of the state through skill training.
The initiative is implemented jointly by the Higher Education, General Education, Labour and Local Self Government Departments of Kerala. The initiative was started in 2011.
The objectives of the project are:
- To create employment opportunities to unemployed youth in Kerala and to enhance the skill sets of the labour force in general, emphasizing industry linkages
- To enhance the employability of the students graduating from regular academic courses by introducing additional skill acquisition programmes along with the regular studies
- To integrate and scale up the programmes to impart low-end skills as well as to equip semi-skilled / unskilled workforce in a mission mode institutionalized approach
- The State of Kerala has embarked upon an ambitious project named State Skill Development Project to equip its young population with skills in cutting edge sectors in order to effectively alleviate the unemployment problem in the state
- The project combines both preventive (Additional Skill Acquisition Programme – ASAP) and curative approaches (Additional Skill Enhancement Programme)
- We started to work with ASAP in May 2017 and trained 116 people that year
- Training of another 120 people has been sanctioned so far, for this year